Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Trivial Pursuits

Was I the only person who watched the news a week or so ago and was unimpressed and unexcited by the prospect of Ellen MacArthur having succeeded in her round-the-world sailing attempt?

Maybe it's me, and my own disillusionment with the whole idea of competitive sport (that set in when I was about 12), but I struggle to understand the importance that people attach to these sporting activities, never moreso than in relation to the nautical ones which don't even satisfy a tribal instinct in the way that , for instance, football teams do.

In fact, apart from wasting vast amounts of money (provided for by corporate sponsors, usually - couldn't they lower the prices of their products instead, please?), my other feeling about these sorts of endeavours is that they're so unnecessarily dangerous. Poor kids might join the army at a low level, whereas the children of the well-off go into these risky sports activities. It reminds me of the time Prince Charles and a load of his cronies went off skiing somewhere they shouldn't have and ended up having to get mountain rescue out to save them. I certainly don't think the taxpayer should have to pick up the tab for that sort of thing - if people require mountain rescue, or the RNLI, to save them, chances are they've been off somewhere doing something dangerous based on a lack of danger and uncertainty in their real lives. Ditto for all of those middle-aged men who go off trying to reach the North Pole or whatever. They're the product of a generation that never had to fight a war and therefore has to invent its own dangers.

And while I wouldn't detract from MacArthur's good works at a human level - her charitable foundation is a worthy cause - the idea of her being some kind of heroine just doesn't stack up, for me. Somebody who slogs his/her guts out to feed the children is far, far more remarkable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boring lesbian boatwoman with no mates so she sails round the world for attention. Oh look at me.i can fuckin sail round the world, so can Christopher Colombus but he didn't wank on about it..I bet the B&Q Senior Management did a creamy wee with all that advertising exposure.