Friday, June 23, 2006

Vitamins

For some reason, when I got back from playing a gig in Uxbridge last night I started to worry about my health. It was about 1:30 and I couldn't sleep (and I know I'm going to have a big night tonight since my buddy James is coming down from Cardiff - much beer+whiskey and little sleep will ensue).

So I decided that I needed some vitamins. As luck would have it, I'd bought these tubes of soluble orange-flavoured vitamins at Tesco last week, so I decided to take some vitamin C with zinc. Rather than be bothered to go out to the shared kitchen and find a glass, I decided to drop one of the soluble tablets into a new 2-litre bottle of Sainsbury's water I had in my room. Then I started to think to myself that dissolving that much vitamic C into that much water would have no effects beneficial to my health, so I dissolved another one in there. And another. Well, I drank about a quarter of the bottle, and decided to bring the rest of it with me to work today and was drinking it on my way down Stockbridge Road.

What suddenly dawned on me as I was walking along, listening to Don Cabellero on my iPod, was that it actually looked like I was drinking a 2-litre bottle of urine. Good job I'm not self-conscious.

2 comments:

Jack said...

Be careful with those vitamin C tablets, Am. They contain a laxative. Remember that gig of yours in Slough where I felt I was coming down with something so took a large amount of VitC on the way up? In the toilet, I was.

Fr Andrew Petiprin said...

The other thing is that only so much vitamin C (about 500mg, I think) can be absorbed by your body at one time. It doesn't do you any good to take more than that in one go.