Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Feeling weary

I've been feeling a bit odd, all day today. I'm sure it's mainly due to lack of sleep, having kipped in the spare room at Luigi's for the sum total of 4.5 hours last night, but I also feel as though I may be on the verge of the 'flu. Anyway, before this becomes a melancholy-blog, I should probably write about something else.

I've been thinking recently that humour in the workplace is incredibly important, and probably something that most employers don't fully factor into their understanding of employee satisfaction. I don't mean some kind of cringe-worthy David Brent-style humour, but that kind of knowing camaraderie humour that you get after being in a job for a little while, where you have enough of a stock of common experiences, or at least enough shared adversity at being at the raw end of something mentalist. We used to have that here, but since the departures of a couple of my workmates around Christmas time, that release valve seems to have disappeared. That's not to say that my workmates aren't generally really nice people, but I just feel the pool of humour DNA has dried-up somewhat.

And yes, I keep telling myself. I know what has to be done.

No comments: