Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute


Cedric Bixler
Originally uploaded by ambroseneville.
A pre-release version of the next Mars Volta album, named Frances The Mute, has been in my possession for some weeks now, but only this morning did I realise just what a spectacular beast it is.

See Drowned In Sound for music filtered through words into a flask of hype, but believe me, when this thing comes out, it's going to be REALLY special and do what De-Loused in the Comatorium did for my 2003.

1 comment:

Ambrose said...

This week, I managed to catch the Volta for the first time in nearly 2 years. I don't exaggerate when I say that there was something almost alien about the performance and the improvisation talent between the 7 musicians onstage (and at least one offstage, by the sounds of the effects on Cedric's vocals).

I did have a couple of gripes, however: why, oh why do people feel the need to take super-low-res photos of live concerts on their crappy cameraphones: it's so useless and annoying for the viewing of other people who've paid £15 to see the band. I can remember a day when bad photography wasn't why people went to gigs. Secondly, I have decided I really don't like massive venues. I haven't been to see many bands playing on that sort of scale, and I'm not sure I'd do it again. I find that too many people dilutes the excitement as a member of the audience, and the band often has to battle against wierd acoustics.

Nevertheless, TMV are a band I'll be telling my grandchildren about in glowing terms in years to come.