Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Our critique began as all critiques begin. With doubt. Doubt became our narrative.

I have decided to start using my blog to make recommendations as to various forms of media that I've consumed and that I think visitors to my blog may enjoy/appreciate.

The first of these is 'Waking Life', a film that's the source of the title quote for this post and the image above. I saw it on Saturday morning and was completely enthralled, so much so that I'm going to buy the DVD. This film has everthing - beautiful, original visuals, thought-provoking monologues on existentialism, evolutionary theory, and some excellent acting conveyed in an original animated framework, Please do seek this film out. You will not be disappointed.

Secondly: I recently finished watching The Sopranos series 3 on DVD, and happened to catch an episode on Channel 4 from a later series, whilst channel-hopping a couple of nights ago. I've been a big fan of The Sopranos from the early days, and its charm isn't blunted by time. For those unfamiliar with the premise, it's the perfect 21st century setup, with a mafia boss who attends a shrink and spends most of his time trying to hold together his 'two families' (as the blurb always points out). The characters are very engaging, and yet the writing has a way of bringing you back to the fact that your on-screen anti-heroes are in fact people whose lives hinge on their morallly-indefensible actions, whilst the individuals themselves try and fail to construct a coherent honour system within which to carry out their organised crime. This is all tempered with a good dose of dark comedy. Little wonder the series has won a slew of Emmy awards.

More of my favourite film/TV series/music soon.

No comments: