Thursday, May 05, 2005

Deliberating in the pub (part 1)

I went for a quick drink before choir rehearsal yesterday with one of my workmates. I'd bought the first drinks, but when he went up to the bar to get the next ones, he insisted on getting clean glasses. I don't understand this at all, and I've seen a lot of people do it. If you're drinking the same drink several times, why on earth would you want to have a new glass?

1) You're increasing the chances that you get a glass with germs in it that might make you ill (the obsessive/compulsive argument).

2) You're causing more glasses to be washed, therefore adding to the amount of water wasted (the environmental argument)

3) You're causing more glasses to be washed, therefore tying up staff time and electricity in the process (the economic efficiency argument).

This is why the pitcher system in America makes sense. You don't find them asking for a new glass each time they have a drink.

I think this is simple choice actually exemplifies the doublethink that goes on among young people in the UK, including my peers. The very same people who talk about ending world poverty, increasing social justice etc. are so often the same people who see no wrong in being wasteful (and this is a major sin of our generation - the 'new glass syndrome' is this in microcosm) or spending vast amounts of money on hedonistic entertainment. It's deeply hypocritical to wear some dumb plastic wristband while you consume with the best of 'em.

2 comments:

Chocolate Monkey said...

Well said- I've been meaning to have a rant about these lovely wristbands myself.

Ambrose said...

Cheers, Caron. I couldn't find your blog - do you have one?