Thursday, May 05, 2005

The General Election: The Burning Issue (final)

New Labour will be voted in for a third term later today.

I saw an interesting programme on Channel 4 the other day that included excerpts from some sort of youth parliament. The one issue that brought together all of those present from all points on the political spectrum was the problem our generation faces attempting to get on the property ladder. I, for one, do not want to be stuck making the rentier class forever richer whilst treading water myself. By the time I'm a pensioner, I'll need a house to sell pay for my retirement anyway, and believe me I'm anxious enough about this already.

Yet MPs aren't really interested in debating this problem. The C4 programme contended that, since voter turnout among the young isn't high, or reliable in terms of party allegiance, it's not a sufficiently hot issue to occupy centre stage. A reduction of stamp duty to a level well below the average house doesn't wash either, and we all know it.

Right now, the only way I can see that I might ever be able to afford a house would be to win a gameshow or the lottery, or something. We all know that pinning your hopes on those odds is futile. But people with nice houses in nice areas hold something worth half a million or more thanks to the enormous inflation that's occurred in property.

When you think about it, the gap between the WWTBA Millionaire winner and the owner of a home has never been closer.

No comments: