Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The lure of the dark


DSCF0043
Originally uploaded by ambroseneville.
Okay, so in this blog post I'm not going to go into how I was fascinated with the gothic Batman universe for a good portion of my teens, but I imagine that it's the same part of my mind that finds subterranean tunnels and catacombs interesting.

Last week, I had the opportunity to go down into the Paris catacombs during some free time whilst on a work trip. By the Paris catacombs, I mean the graveyard part of the Gallic subterranean, not the 'hidden' part where all sorts of cultists meet, as the Grauniad reported last year (though going there really would be amazing). The ossiary in the catacombs literally has walls made of bones, and it was a pretty remarkable thing to see the skeletal remains of six million people. The skull in my image actually bears my initials, which was an added bonus (no pun intended).

I'm also fascinated by the disused Underground stations in London. Apparently trains still go through quite a few of these, without stopping. While it's geeky, I have to say that I think this is a really cool and interesting site.

No comments: