Tuesday, January 18, 2005

My holiday blog: The Mall (of America) (Day 8)


DSCF0013
Originally uploaded by ambroseneville.
On Thursday we got the whole New Year's Eve gang together again and went to a restaurant called Red Lobster for dinner. We hadn't done very much at all during the day itself, after waking up late, but we got in a few games of Soul Calibre II, naturally. At Red Lobster, I went for a tripartite meal of two seafood dishes and a steak. It was very good.

Later that evening, we went to The Mall to have a look at the shops. It was as if this was a more highly-sugared, highly-scented version of shops as you see them everywhere else, and reminded me of the line in the Desaparecidos song, The Mall of America, "If my sadness needs a catalyst I'll just uncover my eyes, so much stimulus". Jack and I looked for a thank-you present for Thurston, hoping to find a BBC comedy DVD of some sort, and found it in Borders across the street from the Mall.

Later that evening we headed down to Will's Pub, a very cool little pub and venue where we saw a synthy funk-post-rock band who sounded a lot like the most recent Q and Not U record. Their set got better as the evening went on, but I wasn't blown away, and I actually stayed to listen to them for much longer than T, Jack, or Mary-Anne. Later, we drank in the open air section of the front of the pub and were approached by a pony-tailed bloke who had gone to school with T and Mary-Anne and now worked as a talent scout for boy bands.

No comments: