Thursday, January 06, 2005

My Holiday Diary: Dixie Crossroads (Day 4)

In the end we decided against trying to find the beach and went for dinner to a seafood restaurant called Dixie Crossroads. Now here's an idea they could export to Britain: seafood at sensible prices! The restaurant was generally really unpretentious and I was able to order a locally-caught, fresh lobster for the equivalent of £8. I've never seen anything like that in the UK, and I'll bet that TV chef Rick Stein would love the idea. Thurston ordered a platter of various shrimp and other seafood, and Jack had half a pound of catfish.

At the restaurant they also had a tall, barrel-chested Sheriff on duty at the welcome podium (near where I shot the photo of the giant shrimp wearing a Christmas wreath). It was a bit intimidating, but seems to be part of the public-private nexus that goes on here in the US, where the police are sometimes employed outside of their hours to work or are assigned to a public place like a pub or restaurant as a preventative measure against drink drivers and other potential problems. I really wanted to get a photo of me with this Sheriff, but I can't imagine he'd have found it as funny an idea as I did.

We drove back from Jacksonville and went to Jimmy's, T's local pool club. I put some Cake songs on the jukebox and we had a few games of pool before returning home.

No comments: