Tuesday, January 18, 2005

My holiday blog: Shopping (Day 7)

On the Wednesday, we went to a large shopping area in Orlando, with a view to finding a shop called Guitar Centre (I've subsequently learned that this is a large chain with stores all over the country). We had some trouble finding the actual building among the many many substantial out-of-town stores, but went into a furniture shop where a middle aged lady gave us proper directions. I thought the atmosphere they'd managed to create was much more carefully-considered than in your average retail park back in Britain. There was a feel that this was a little town within a town, with pretty little boulevards lined with palm trees and chic cafes spilling out onto the wide pavements alongside the various retail emporia.

Inside Guitar Centre, I quickly found the right guitar, in black and aluminium colours. It played really nicely, and I knew almost immediately that this was the one I should buy. I easily saved myself a couple of hundred quid off the cost of buying one on ebay, and I was also able to play it to see how that particular instrument played. After putting my guitar in the boot of Thurston's car, we went to a computer game shop where T and Jack picked up some bargains. I was really tempted to buy a Gamecube, at about £30 versus the £80-£100 in the UK, but I didn't want to risk the added difficulties of converting the voltage for the UK.

After grabbing some lunch at what amounted to a Subway-on-steroids sandwhich bar (with much better ingredients and an amazing choice of salads), we went back to Park Avenue, the excellent record shop, where Jack bought Subhumans records and a t-shirt.

That evening we tried to take it a bit easy. Just a few Irish Car Bombs and some Chris Rock DVDs at Thurston's house.

No comments: