Monday, April 18, 2005

Product Placement


Botanics Shaving Foam
Originally uploaded by ambroseneville.
Unlike the people at FHM, Maxim etc., when I use my blog to tell my readership something is good, it's not because I'm being paid to do it.

So, in light of my love for all humanity, I thought I'd pass on the observation that the Botanics range of products from Boots are very very good. Speaking as someone who doesn't believe in the concept of male grooming, I must say that the mens' face wash and the shaving foam (that I discovered more recently) are really good if you have sensitive or spot-prone skin. Seriously. Stay with me here, try the stuff out and then you can tell me if I'm wrong.

The gentle, unstringent nature of these products comes from them being based upon plant extracts; this leads me on to thinking about the number of adverts you see these days for products containing aloe vera (washing powders, shampoos, toilet tissues!). It's a wonder that there are enough aloe plants to meet the demand, assuming there's not a synthetic process for replicating the extract. Anyway, aloe vera is pretty cool stuff - when I went on a choir tour to the Caribbean in 2001, breaking open a leaf and putting the extract of that plant on my skin was pretty much the only relief I could get from sun burn and mosquito stings. You've got to love nature.

5 comments:

Merry said...

Well I wish you had mentioned this earlier, like before I bought Neutrogena rubbish face wash and hated it (I looked at the Boots stuff but wasn't convinced by the wishy-washy green labels, I like my face products to look like they've been tested thoroughly on beagles first).

Merry said...

Well I wish you had mentioned this earlier, like before I bought Neutrogena rubbish face wash and hated it (I looked at the Boots stuff but wasn't convinced by the wishy-washy green labels, I like my face products to look like they've been tested thoroughly on beagles first).

Ambrose said...

Well, now you know, I guess! I might try and do more on my findings of good and bad products in future - there's not enough honesty about this sort of thing. Can't help you on the makeup though, ladies (and that's where some of the boldest advertising claims are made!). Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Theres a gay bar down the road you know.......

Ambrose said...

Heh. I knew this was a risky concept.