Monday, April 25, 2005

Software Piracy

Last week I found myself talking to someone who's the founder of a fairly significant software company about things that I've found interesting recently, particularly the troubling issue of software patenting.

A few minutes into the conversation it occurred to me that his company's innovations have added a fair bit to value and useability in a specific field, for a certain type of computer user (I don't want to be specific here, which is becoming obvious by this point), but that about half of the people I know who use the product are using a cracked, pirate copy.

Piracy/cracking is a funny issue: I'm against it on one level - if you're making a living from using a piece of software (or, in the case of students, gaining qualifications through work produced with that specific programme) you really can't justify stealing what is an integral tool in the process. It's like a blacksmith nicking someone else's anvil.

On the other hand, I'm ambivalent about low-level piracy performed by people who just want to try out a programme, or those who might make occasional use of something for non-commercial ends.

Cracked versus copied software muddies these waters. I can think of times when I've made use of software purchased quite legally by a friend or relative, and at least in that situation the company has made profit from one sale of the product, and I'm certainly not going to add to their costs by asking for telephone support; I may well also end up purchasing my own copy at a later date.

The software the guy's company makes employs no physical protection methods, and, having once pressed a help desk person about their copy protection codes, I realised that their system for giving out codes is pretty rudimentary. Normally I'd be against software employing a USB dongle, but not in this case. Having to use up a USB port on a laptop where you might only have 2 ports total is a pain in the arse if you're using something that needs extra external hardware, like Logic Audio, but I don't think it would be so much of an issue in this case.

I'm sure it's all stuff the company has thought of, but it is strange talking to somebody who you've just met, who you know has been stolen-from, and feeling that you would like to tell him, but deciding it would only be irritating. So I held my tongue instead.

1 comment:

Jack said...

I tend to agree with you here. I've been "all legal" for a while now, which in my ongoing financial situation means largely going open source. Which is a good thing, surely.

btw I'm in Reading this week so if you're free any evening and fancy meeting up, give me a shout!